iMovie '08 is a complete rewrite of Apple's movie editing sofware and offers a new model for creating movies. It sports a new look and provides a fast and easy way create a basic video quickly. Unfortunately, some critics have considered it "a step backwards."
If you didn't kow, iMovie HD 6, previously distributed with iLife ’06, is available free for download for those who have purchased and installed iLife ’08. (NOTE: It will not work if you don't have iLife '08, I tried.)
So, if you purchased a new Mac or bought iLife '08, you should get iMovie HD 6.
The minimum requirements for iMovie HD 6 are:
- A Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G4, G5, or Intel Core processor
- 256 MB of RAM; 512 MB recommended
- High definition video requires a 1 GHz G4 processor or faster and 512 MB of RAM
- Mac OS X 10.3.9 or Mac OS X 10.4.3 or later; Mac OS X 10.4.4 recommended
- Mac OS X 10.4.4 (or later) required for themes, real-time video effects, and audio effects